Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Top Ten 2011 New Year's Resolutions

Well, it's that time of year again. I usually shy away from resolutions because I end up breaking them promptly. But because my birthday is at the end of the year, I also feel compelled to generate a list. So here we go again:

1.    Listen to my wife better. Stop finishing her sentences and cutting her off, OK Rambo?

2.    Need to walk or do something physical for a change. I'll be 60 in three years and 70 in 13 years! Jesus!

3.    Eat better? Goes without saying, but I said it anyway.

4.    Become a better teacher. I know I can do better, and the pursuit will keep me from getting burned out.

5.    Listen to more music. I have a great collection, but somehow it easily becomes an afterthought.

6.    Finish the damn book!  I've been writing it since before my current students were in high school.

7.    Say positive, optimistic things. I have a habit from my genetics to not do that, so I need to overcome that predilection with mindfulness.

8.    Pay off the DISCOVER CARD bill. Pronto, or at least in proportion to corralling my movie and music addictions.

9.    Fix the toilet roll dispenser in the master bathroom. Must everything be monumental?

10.  Remind yourself of the top nine.

OK, so there's another year's worth of things that I will quickly forget or rationalize my way past. Hold on for a second: number 10 takes me to number 7, so, yes I will do these things, because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me. Good, now eight to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment